ACCOMMODATION IN ODENSE
Are you between 18 and 30 years old, living outside Odense Municipality and about to start a study programme in Odense? Then you are covered by the ‘roof over your head’ guarantee.
The scheme also applies to full-degree students from the Nordic Countries and the EU, but not to exchange students and students from other countries. Read more about the ’roof over your head’ guarantee here.
You can also contact the colleges’ joint registration, www.studiebolig-odense.dk, which offers dorm rooms and student accommodation in Odense.
ACCOMMODATION IN ESBJERG
The housing situation in Esbjerg is far better than in the other college towns in the country, though you may still have to wait for your dream home. You can further improve your chances of finding a good place to live – before study start – if you make an active effort.
At www.energimetropol.dk/bolig you can get an overview of ways of finding a place to live in Esbjerg and its environs.
You can also read about the H.C. Ørsted House – a residence hall for students at SDMK in Esbjerg – just 20 metres from the academy.
DAB offers various types of student accommodation, including housing in the new building in Havnegade.
If you are a foreign citizen, you must fulfil specific conditions in order to be granted equal status with Danish citizens and receive state educational grant (SU)
Normally, you must be a Danish citizen to be entitled to SU. If you are a foreign citizen, however, you have the possibility of applying for equal status with Danish citizens and thus being approved to receive SU.
Danish rules or EU law
There are, in general, two sets of rules according to which you can apply for equal status: Danish rules or the rules of EU law. Depending on the rules under which you apply, there are different conditions that you must fulfil:
- Equal status according to Danish rules
- Equal status according to EU law - look here if you are a worker or a self-employed person under EU law
When you know the conditions for the specific rules and you are ready to apply, you can read more about how to apply for the first time.
If you have questions regarding SU, you are very welcome to contact our SU-advisor Lene Kielsen (email@example.com eller 63119918).
With a population of more than 200,000, including 30,000 students, Odense is the third largest city in the country and one of its largest college towns. The academy is in the centre of town and part of the concert and event venue Odeon, which also houses the Danish National School of Performing Arts’ acting programme.
The price of accommodation in Odense is significantly lower than in similar college towns like Copenhagen and Aarhus. It also offers good public transport, though everything in Odense is within biking distance.
The city is plentiful in cultural events and home to a number of music venues, museums and theatres as well as a wide range of cafés and eateries. In addition, throughout the year the city houses a number of interesting festivals focussing on anything from music, film, partying and art to food, flowers and science.
And should you wish to leave Odense, both Copenhagen and Aarhus are just one and a half hours away on the train.
Visit the citizen service centre and information at www.odense.dk.
The Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/StudiebyenOdense/ offers relevant information on life as a student in the college town of Odense.
Venues and other culture
- Odense Symfoniorkester – www.odensesymfoni.dk
- Den Fynske Opera – www.denfynskeopera.dk
- Odense Teater – www.odenseteater.dk
- Det Fynske Sangselskab - www.detfynskesangselskab.dk
- Teater Momentum – www.teatermomentum.dk
- Musikhuset Dexter - https://www.dexter.dk/
- Musikhuset Posten - https://www.postenlive.dk/
- Odense Musikbibliotek - https://www.odensebib.dk/biblioteker/musikbiblioteket
- Brandts - https://brandts.dk/
- Studenterhus Odense - http://www.studenterhus.dk/
- Kansas City - https://kansascity.dk
- Dynamo - https://dynamoworkspace.dk/
FESTIVALS AND EVENTS
- HC Andersen Festivals - https://www.hcafestivals.dk/
- Tinderbox - https://tinderbox.dk/
- Odense Internationale Film Festival – www.filmfestival.dk
- Magiske dage - https://magiskedageodense.dk/
- ODINCON - https://odincon.eu/
- TEDxOdense - https://tedxodense.com/
- Spoken Word Festival - http://www.spoken.dk/
- Generator - https://generatorfestival.dk/
Esbjerg College Town is a collaboration between the higher education programmes in Esbjerg – University College South Denmark, the University of Southern Denmark, Business Academy Southwest, Aalborg University Esbjerg and the Danish National Academy of Music – and Business Esbjerg.
In Esbjerg you can choose between more than 60 higher education programmes, just as the city offers a range of sports and cultural activities.
Read more at College Town Esbjerg and learn about your options as a student in Esbjerg.